Re: [Hampshire] Asus EEE BOX ?

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Asus EEE BOX ?

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, Bob Dunlop wrote:

> Okay how about 79 quid, including VAT and delivery.
>
> Not quite the same spec but that's what I just got a Viglen MPC-L for
> thanks to Alan Popes pointer to the Ubuntu podcast.

Mine arrived last Thursday as it happens :)

> 512Mb RAM, 80G hard drive, 400MHz Geode processor. As well as the bundled
> USB keyboard and mouse mine came with a 1GB USB Flash key in a separate
> box for some reason.

It's a nice box and the size/power/noise levels are all low enough that it
is ideal as an always on light weight home server type device, but its
processor is a little underpowered for (my) desktop needs. Which is why I
was looking for something a little more powerful, while still being
relatively small/low power.

Another possible alternative is to just upgrade to a EEE 901 and plug my
existing 701 into my KVM permanently...

BTW Bob, have you looked carefully at the mouse that came with your MPC-L?
If it is the same as the one I received you may want to throw it out
before it contaminates anything :)

Andy