Re: [Hampshire] VirtualBox and Infrared devices

Author: Ian Park
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] VirtualBox and Infrared devices
Steve wrote:
8<--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I'm trying to get the mapping to work correctly with my TomTom first,
and I seem to be having a few problems.

I've been able to create a filter within VirtualBox, and it appears to
see the USB id of the device when creating the filter, although oddly I
can't see anything in lsusb. At least I assume it's the correct device,
as the only other thing I have connected via USB is my keyboard and
VirtualBox is not taking control of that.

However, the Windows XP guest never actually sees the device. Any
pointers?

Cheers,
Steve
8<--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have done exactly this on my box (running Ubuntu 8.04 AMD64). I've
found that when I plug anything into the Belkin USB hub which I've
fitted to give me front panel USB access, I need to type lsusb a couple
of times from the console to get it to recognise first the USB hub and
then any devices plugged into it.

When I plug the TomTom cradle into a USB port on the back panel, there's
no problem. I suggest you try starting up the WinXP guest first, then
put the TomTom into its cradle and switch it on - from memory, when I
did that, Windoze spotted a new device, and I was able to set up TomTom
Home and install the drivers from the CD.

HTH

Ian
--
Ian Park