Re: [Hampshire] Distros with LUKS out of the box

Top Page
Author: Tom Ellis
To: paul, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Distros with LUKS out of the box

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56e7e100.hantslug.org.uk.3659': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Nov 27 13:49:11 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 39906F7D063C355A
Paul Stimpson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been having terrible pain with wireless (IWL4965) on FC. It can't authenticate with a number of WPA networks we have. I've tried installing FC9 i386 and x86_64 and FC10 i386 live CD (final version) so I think it'ss about time a took a rest from FC as it looks like it's not going to work anytime soon.
>
> I've got really used to having a LUKS encrypted filesystem and I'd like to continue as I carry a lot of business confidential material round with me. My question is: which distros can support and install themselves on a LUKS partition out of the box please?

Hi Paul,

I've had issues with WPA networks on a couple of Intel cards, but mainly
on with the IWL*3945* driver. When it first split from the IPW type
drivers to IWL type there was a lot of issues with WPA networks and
other thing such as just turning on the wireless "enabled" light on
laptops with the card in.

They are mostly fixed for my card now, but you are probably experiencing
similar things with the IWL4965 driver and highly recommend you feed
this back to the developers via Red Hat/Fedora's Bugzilla
(bugzilla.redhat.com) or Intel's bugzilla (see
http://intellinuxwireless.org/), this will help make them better for
everyone :-)

Switching distros won't necessarily fix this for you at all.

I am rather enjoying the new fedora 10 release myself though and advise
everyone on the list to take a look.

cheers,

Tom

- --