[Hampshire] Errors when doing an aptitude safe-upgrade

Author: john lewis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Errors when doing an aptitude safe-upgrade
I had some corrupted files on my server following a power failure. I
have managed to clear most of the errors dpkg found when doing an
upgrade with the exception of the following

Use of uninitialized value $value in substitution (s///)
at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 65, <$__ANONIO__> line
3.
Use of uninitialized value $item in hash element
at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/File.pm line 70, <$__ANONIO__>
chunk 3.

I have tried copying two files from another debian lenny system over
the two files on the server but that didn't clear these errors although
other file errors were cleared using the same trick

both files seem to be part of debconf but reinstalling that package
doesn't get rid of the error message.

Is it likely to matter those two files are probably corrupted? If they
are important suggestions for sorting this out would be welcome.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop