[Hampshire] Video link solution

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Video link solution
Hi,

I'm trying to set up a video system for work and I'm wondering if a
Linux solution might be the way to go.

The system needs to have the following features:

    * 1 hub node in the studio and multiple contribution nodes at
      various locations in the city.
    * The contribution nodes will communicate with the hub over ADSL or
      SDSL lines or possibly 3G.
    * Firewalls must be in place to protect the nodes.
    * Each contribution node will stream video and audio from an
      attached (standard definition) camera and microphone to the hub on
      demand.
    * The hub will return a single stream of audio (needs to be low
      latency) so the contributor can hear the program.
    * The hub node must have a UI that is usable by a non-technical person.
    * The hub should output the received video in a dedicated output
      (preferably SDI but analog is acceptable)
    * The picture and audio quality must be good enough that you would
      watch them on television.

My initial thought was to get a rack mount machine for the hub and a
fleet of mini-ITX machines for the contribution nodes. I was wondering
if it would be possible to run IPCop (or a similar firewall) in a VM to
protect the main OS and apps. IPCop would also make the machines into a
VPN so they appear to be a single network to the hub. We use VLC
successfully at work and I was wondering if we could leverage that to
compress and serve the video back to the hub.

Would a Mini-ITX box be (wo)man enough to handle the video and audio
compression, firewall and the VM overhead or would I be much better with
a 2 motherboards in 1u rack case? Do you know of any projects in
existence that might fit the bill?

Thanks,
Paul.