Re: [Hampshire] Video link solution

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Video link solution

>     * The contribution nodes will communicate with the hub over ADSL or
>       SDSL lines or possibly 3G.

>     * The picture and audio quality must be good enough that you would
>       watch them on television.

These two requirements are pretty much mutually exclusive...

SD DVB-S, for example, uses approx 6Mb/s. Using a more recent codec will
reduce that bandwidth somewhat, but you need to drop it by roughly an
order of magnitude to do the sort of thing you're talking about - that's
not an easy job.

The alternative is to reduce the video quality, by increased compression
(think FreeView) or by frame-dropping.

>     * Each contribution node will stream video and audio from an
>       attached (standard definition) camera and microphone to the hub on
>       demand.
>     * The hub will return a single stream of audio (needs to be low
>       latency) so the contributor can hear the program.

This is looking like a videoconferencing application. Take a look at
H.323-type solutions...

>     * The hub node must have a UI that is usable by a non-technical
> person.

That involves judgement calls - what does the hub need to do, and how are
you defining "non-technical"?

> My initial thought was to get a rack mount machine for the hub and a
> fleet of mini-ITX machines for the contribution nodes.

Do you have space constraints?

Rack-mounting is often used to increase processing density (amount of
grunt per unit area of floorspace), but it has significant downsides -
like noise and heat. Does this need to go into an existing rack, or would
a floor-standing unit be better?

Mini-ITX will give you design tradeoffs at the far end - again, mini-ITX
is largely about optimising for size; if size is less important, you'll
probably be able to do something more effective for less money.

> I was wondering
> if it would be possible to run IPCop (or a similar firewall) in a VM to
> protect the main OS and apps.

Why not just run the firewall on the core OS? Stick your apps into VMs if
necessary.

> IPCop would also make the machines into a
> VPN so they appear to be a single network to the hub.

OpenVPN builds a nice VPN - and it's all key-based.

> We use VLC
> successfully at work and I was wondering if we could leverage that to
> compress and serve the video back to the hub.

That's what it was built for. But I still think you need to rethink your
bandwidth/quality compromise.

> Would a Mini-ITX box be (wo)man enough to handle the video and audio
> compression, firewall and the VM overhead

I wouldn't. Video compression is a fairly CPU-intensive task as your
compression ratios increase; you might like to see if you can get hardware
assistance for it (the motion estimator is the worst bit - and that's more
bandwidth-intensive than compute-heavy).

Vic.