Re: [Hampshire] Cloning Acer Aspire Ones'

Author: Joe Wrigley
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cloning Acer Aspire Ones'
Since I've been playing with my Aspire one a lot, I backed up my
"known working" config as follows:

1) Create a live USB disk that has plenty of space. I used archlinux,
but umbongo or whatever should be fine. This was simplified for me by
then shrinking that partition and creating another one for "data".
2) Boot said usb disk
3) Mount the "data" partition of the usb disk
# mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt
4) Use dd to back up the entire contents of the hard disk
# dd if=/dev/sda | gzip > /mnt/sdabackup.img.gz

To write this image onto another Aspire One, you should be able to
repeat steps 1-3 and then:
zcat /mnt/sdabackup.img.gz > /dev/sda

It might even work ;-)

Joe