Re: [Hampshire] [OT Doze networking]

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: madison.first
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT Doze networking]
Tim wrote:
> On Saturday 20 December 2008 15:47:52 Mike Burrows wrote:
>> Hello Folks.
>>

>> Before I waste a bunch more time can I ask...is it possible to "repair"
>> DHCP, DNS and maybe other bits of XP home without reinstalling the whole
>> OS? I have 2 laptops connected to the same wireless secured Linksys
>> network. Both have their TCP/IP settings identical yet one can ping the
>> router and get out to the www (running xp pro), whereas the other (running
>> xp home cant)

I may have missed the beginning of this thread, but have you checked all
the usual suspects such as firewalls (e.g. fragments of firewalls
remaining that you thought had been uninstalled).

You could also try repair programs such as lspfix
(http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm) or winsockxpfix
(http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html).

And have you check for spurious proxy settings and the like?

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???