Re: [Hampshire] Kubuntu & multiple sound cards

Author: Dominic Cleal
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Kubuntu & multiple sound cards
On Monday 22 December 2008 11:17:59 Vic wrote:
> Now I want to get Amarok to play through it on Kubuntu. In whitebox,
> that's just a case of setting up the default card - very easy and works
> flawlessly. On Kubuntu, I went into "System setting", and the audio system
> has a set of preferred devices for various categories of sound. So far so
> good.
>
> Unfortunately, I just can't get it to work. Setting my external device as
> the preferred unit makes no difference whatsoever: Amarok still uses the
> internal device.

Amarok uses the xine engine which has its own settings. If you go to
Settings, Configure Amarok, Engines you can specify the ALSA devices for
mono/stereo, instead of "default". I suspect it's a string, something
like "hw:1,0" (for card 1, device 0), which you could confirm by
reading /proc/asound/devices.

--
Dominic Cleal
dominic@???