[Hampshire] Kubuntu & multiple sound cards

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Kubuntu & multiple sound cards

Hi All.

I've got a Kubuntu 8.10 box that I'm having a little trouble with...

The onboard sound system is way too noisy for what I have in mind, so I've
got an external USB sound device. I've used this for quite some time on my
Whitebox installation.

Now I want to get Amarok to play through it on Kubuntu. In whitebox,
that's just a case of setting up the default card - very easy and works
flawlessly. On Kubuntu, I went into "System setting", and the audio system
has a set of preferred devices for various categories of sound. So far so
good.

Unfortunately, I just can't get it to work. Setting my external device as
the preferred unit makes no difference whatsoever: Amarok still uses the
internal device.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!"

Vic.