[Hampshire] Ubuntu LVM LUKS

Author: Paul Stimpson
Subject: [Hampshire] Ubuntu LVM LUKS
Hi there,

I've been having a few problems with FC10 (the biggest being that it won't connect to our wireless at work, mouseovering icons causes a resource spike that makes pulseaudio glitch and that GIMP now freezes for up to 15 seconds whenever I change tools or layers.) I like the FC experience but the problems are just too great on my machine and I've got a radio show to do (I so don't need a glitchy sound server) so I thought I'd try Intrepid on my other hard drive.

One of the things I love about FC10 is that it can make swap and the filesystems into an LVM group and LUKS encrypt them in the installer. Just tick the box, enter the passphrase and off it goes. My laptop is my main machine and has customer-confidential stuff on it so I really like the idea of encryption in case it ever goes missing.

I got a howto online with the steps to configure the last version of Ubuntu for LUKS LVM. One of the things it tells you to do is a "dd /dev/urandom /dev/sda5" to fill the LVM group with random noise before creating the groups. I have started this but I'm only getting 1.7MBps so it's going to take nearly 3 days to complete on a 300GB partition!

Is there a better way of doing this please? FC10 formatted in minutes/hours, not days.

Thanks,
Paul.