Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu LVM LUKS

Author: Antony
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu LVM LUKS
"Vic" wrote:
> > I got a howto online with the steps to configure the last version of
> > Ubuntu for LUKS LVM. One of the things it tells you to do is a "dd
> > /dev/urandom /dev/sda5" to fill the LVM group with random noise before
> > creating the groups. I have started this but I'm only getting 1.7MBps so
> > it's going to take nearly 3 days to complete on a 300GB partition!
>
> I wouldn't bother with that step. Not having random stuff across your
> partition will probably make it a little easier for an experienced
> investigator to find the bits that make up your filesystem - but you're
> not relying on that for security, are you?

Presumably what you don't want the investigator to find is not so much
the filesystem as what was on the disk beforehand.

What's the bottleneck according to the system monitor and top? It's a
bit hard to believe the 1.7MBps results from pseudo random generation,
much less the encryption or disk system, but maybe filling from
/dev/zero would help as a compromise?

Anthony