Re: [Hampshire] Re-enter local bash session from remote

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re-enter local bash session from remote

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56f5a100.hantslug.org.uk.2371': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Dec 23 10:12:24 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 09:54:48AM -0000, Graeme Hilton wrote:
> Last night I was using my home server at a virtual console. I started a
> copy of a large amount of data onto a USB connected disk - it's USB 1 so
> tediously slow.
>
> Anyway, I forgot about it till now, and I'm at work, and I'd like to check
> progress.
>
> Is there a way of accessing an already running virtual console remotely?

If the device started as empty and you know roughly how much data
you have to copy (in some way), then there's several options that will
give you a rough idea.

If the device was empty, and you know the total size you're
copying:

$ df -h /dev/sdb1
or
$ du -hs /media/mountpoint (will take longer and use up device bandwidth doing it)

If the device was empty, and you know how many files there are,
then:

$ find /media/mountpoint -type f | wc -l

Hugo.

  --- Attempted murder, now honestly, what is that?  Do they give a ---
                  Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry?