Re: [Hampshire] Re-enter local bash session from remote

Author: Steve Kemp
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re-enter local bash session from remote
On Tue Dec 23, 2008 at 09:55:04 +0000, Keith Edmunds wrote:

> > Is there a way of accessing an already running virtual console remotely?
>
> Not this time, but next time run the command under screen(1). That allows
> you to detach the job and re-attach to it later: very useful in exactly
> the circumstances you describe.

You don't want to use screen, you want to use tscreen!

     http://www.steve.org.uk/Software/tscreen

Ahem.

For this situation it doesn't help, but you might have luck starting
x11vnc over ssh with tunnelling to view your desktop. Somehting like

    ssh -X user@home
      ->  apt-get install x11vnc
      ->  x11vnc -many

Then connect again with port forwarding to localhost to
view your whole desktop via vnc.

Steve
--
Try out tscreen - My fork of GNU Screen: