Re: [Hampshire] Re-enter local bash session from remote

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re-enter local bash session from remote
2008/12/23 Alan Pope <alan@???>:
>>> Not this time, but next time run the command under screen(1). That
>> allows you to detach the job and re-attach to it later: very useful in
>> exactly the circumstances you describe.
>>
>> The problem is remembering to use screen..... ;-)
>>

> Set it to be your default shell :)
>
> There was some discussion at the Ubuntu Developer Summit last week
> about doing this for Ubuntu Server in the next release.
>
> http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2008/12/ubuntu-server-includes-window-manager.html

Interesting ... I've never yet got into screen but kind-of feel as if
I ought. One^H^H^Htwo^H^H^Hthree [2] troubles is that most of my
remote shell sessions are running "emacs -nw" [1] and I am concerned
about key-conflicts; also one emacs session handles lots of separate
file editing buffers as well as a shell buffer or two. And I have
memories of screen having trouble with big scroll buffers (like when
tailing a log file and wanting to look back a long way). Now I could
be misguided on all those counts and if so would be delighted to be
enlightened.

Actually, I think screen would be a great thing to hear a talk about
and will add it to the RequestedTalks page.

[1] no i am not starting a my editors better than yours session...
[2] this feels like the Spanish Inquisition sketch.