Re: [Hampshire] Re-enter local bash session from remote

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re-enter local bash session from remote
** Alan Pope <alan@???> [2008-12-23 11:09]:
> 2008/12/23 Graeme Hilton <graeme.hilton@???>:
> >>
> >> Not this time, but next time run the command under screen(1). That
> > allows you to detach the job and re-attach to it later: very useful in
> > exactly the circumstances you describe.
> >
> > The problem is remembering to use screen..... ;-)
>
> Set it to be your default shell :)
>
> There was some discussion at the Ubuntu Developer Summit last week
> about doing this for Ubuntu Server in the next release.
>
> http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2008/12/ubuntu-server-includes-window-manager.html

** end quote [Alan Pope]

Interesting thought, but personally I'd not want screen as my default
shell - and I'm saying that as somebody who makes extensive use of
screen, and generally it is the first thing I start on logging on.
However, there are a number of situations where I don't want to be
running screen - notably when I want to scroll back through some output
and can't use less. One example of this is in the bacula console. That
said I've not explored the screen configuration options fully to see if
you can create a scroll buffer for each screen console, or if there is a
way of emulating less in the bacula console (although that only
addresses one application). I'll have to take a look at the screen
profiles package and dissect the profiles therein for my own purposes :)
I'll have to explore the Ubuntu server offerings a bit more to ensure I
don't duplicate too much effort with work I have planned for mid January
when I (sadly) have a bit more time on my hands. The beauty of Linux is
that you can customise it so extensively, on the downside of that is
that you become more fussy about exactly how things work and are less
inclined to put up with somebody elses view of how you should do things!
How many sys admins suffer Microsoft's warped view of good practise
because there is so much less scope for making things work nicely?!

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: