Re: [Hampshire] Optical drive not recognising Audio Cds

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Optical drive not recognising Audio Cds

>>> Hmm ignore that, it appears I'm being dense. I tried telling Kaffiene to
>>> play a CD that I'd inserted, and it's working fine. I just expected it to
>>> appear like a removable device upon insertion.
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>> I don't think it's just you being dense (unless I'm being dense too).
>> I've been seeing the same error messages since 'upgrading' to Ubuntu
>> Intrepid. I suspect it's something to do with Intrepid being clever and
>> trying to do some sort of automounting on the CD, which fails on audio
>> CDs (although Kaffeine, grip etc. still work).
>>
>> I still can't write CDs or DVDs in Intrepid either -- I'll look into it
>> after the festivities have died down.
>>

> While I don't use Ubuntu so I can't comment on the error message, but I to
> have fallen foul of trying to mount an audio cd.............
>
> Tim

I think the latest round of kernels might have broken this, I have
similar issues with the latest updates for Fedora 10:

Dec 26 08:18:49 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr0,
sector 0
Dec 26 08:18:49 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0,
logical block 0
Dec 26 08:18:49 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0,
logical block 1
Dec 26 08:18:49 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0,
logical block 2
Dec 26 08:18:49 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0,
logical block 3
Dec 26 08:18:49 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr0,
sector 0

I'm running:

2.6.27.9-159.fc10.i686 #1 SMP