[Hampshire] x configuration on GeForce 8400 GS

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] x configuration on GeForce 8400 GS
Hi all

Can someone please point me toward a working configuration guide for X on Ubuntu (8.10)? I've been trying all afternoon and, to be honest, I'm in the dark as to what to try next.

Using a default configuration, I can get 800x600 out of my GeForce 8400GS - but with the font sizes I have to use that's rubbish. What I want is 1024x768 but that option doesn't appear.

Running the nvidia-settings is, to be honest, just a joke. Not only do no changes I make seem to have any effect but the window is too big for the screen and using the mouse no matter where I click it just moves the "viewpoint" of the window - i.e. if I click on a button it displays the previously hidden part of the window rather than actually doing the job of the button! The upshot is I've had to tab between buttons but as I say nothing has seemed to make something work.

As I recall when I ran Fedora 9 on the same box, there was something I had to download from the nvidia website which actually ran in console mode. Can't remember what it did now but it did something like compile modules for my kernel.

But the bottom line is - I don't know what order to carry out the configuration procedures in (console nvidia thing, then gnome's own configuration tools or start from the nvidia-settings thing assuming I can make it work properly) - nor do I have any clue why the nvidia-settings is "behaving so badly" i.e. not responding to the mouse (incidentally all other X apps are handling the mouse fine).

Cheers - and happy new year all
Rob