Re: [Hampshire] x configuration on GeForce 8400 GS

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] x configuration on GeForce 8400 GS

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Dunlop" <bob.dunlop@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 1:02 PM

> On Wed, Dec 31 at 11:09, Rob Malpass wrote:
>> Yes it did but I then got a blank screen as soon as this happened. Only
>> manual faffing around with xorg.conf has got me even this far.
>
> Hmm blank screen on Ubuntu sounds familiar.
> Is this another combination where Compiz needs to be disabled ?
>
> sudo apt-get autoremove compiz
> sudo apt-get autoremove compiz-core
>
> Fixed my blank screen problems  on a Dell with U8.10 recently.
> --
>        Bob Dunlop

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???
> 30/12/2008 12:06

Thanks all for your help. The solution was, as I often find with Linux,
delightfully simple once you find it. I downloaded a program called
displayconfig-gtk through synaptic - no special repositories required as I
recall.

This gives you a screen to fiddle with before booting to the window manager.
Here not only could I bump up the monitor res (which must have been why
nothing > 800x600 was on the list) but other options too. When I then got
through to gnome, it told me that the nvidia drivers weren't in use, so I
enabled them and bingo - I now have 32-bit colour depth at 1024x768 and it's
even running those nice openGL screensavers.

A day of searching lost I guess but now it's working. Another post related
to this coming up.

Cheers
Rob