Re: [Hampshire] SPAM issues

Author: Gordon Scott
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] SPAM issues
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Vic wrote:

> > If it's reliably classified as spam, of course. But otherwise, if you
> > haven't
> > been able to reject it at SMTP-time, the only RFC-compliant approach to
> > "dealing
> > with it" involves bouncing it in some situations:
>
> Yep. The choice is between becoming non-compliant with the RFC, or
> participating in a backscatter attack.
>
> That's not a difficult decision in my book...

Particularly as much of the backscatter in turn produces further
incoming backscatter. I finally abandoned any attempt at compliance syn
proper helpful responses to my bounces about 5 years ago when my
mailserver finally collapsed under the overload.

Sadly the spammers have wrecked the original reliability of email.

G.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

Haiku:        Tragic Irony
        Imagined Life Without Walls
        Windows Crash to Floor.

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.