Re: [Hampshire] SPAM issues

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] SPAM issues
On Sunday 04 January 2009 16:44:13 Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 04:38:22PM +0000, john wrote:
> > What is catch-all? I have not been able to find this in kmail.
>
>    The fact that *all* mail to your domain is accepted, and not just
> mail to a limited set of usernames. Configure your mail server to
> accept only mail for the usernames you want to publicise, and you will
> see most of your spam vanish.

My experience of freeserve is that you don't have any control
over what their mail server accepts. It's the same problem I had
with Demon - you get a whole domain, and they store everything
sent to that domain because they don't know what usernames you're
actually using. You can only filter after downloading.

The way I fixed this, was to download everything using POP3 with
fetchmail. This forwarded the emails to my own (IMAP) mail server,
which did the silent junking of email to unrecognised users.
Kmail then connected to that (using IMAP) to read the mail.

The problem is that it sounds like freeserve only downloads emails
for a particular user when John connects using (I assume) POP3.
Demon allowed me to download mail for ALL users, which made it
simple. The question would be how to do this when connecting to
freeserve.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???