Re: [Hampshire] Apache performance tuning.

Author: David Ramsden
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Apache performance tuning.
Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Wed Jan 07, 2009 at 15:35:08 +0000, David Ramsden wrote:
>
>> I'm also looking in to implementing a PHP caching system like APC.
>
> Might be less-effort to put squid in front of Apache...
>
> Also look at avoiding use of .htaccess files, disabling DNS
> lookups for logging, and similar things.

Using squid as opposed to something like APC sounds like a better idea.
The website administrator has just turned off images within signatures
and the performance has increased significantly. So the ability to cache
images is attractive.

I did read somewhere that explicitly stopping Apache searching for
.htaccess files is definately a worth while exercise. I'll add this to
my list. I also need to make sure logrotate is configured correctly and
Apache's logs are being rotated before they grow bigger than 2Gb.

Thanks.
David.
--
  .''`.     David Ramsden