Re: [Hampshire] Using external kvm with laptop

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Using external kvm with laptop

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Stimpson" <paul@???>
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 1:19 PM

Hi,

On my machine the BIOS has settings for which monitor to use at boot (which
IIRC includes "auto" and "both") and the power saving for the monitor. Is
this a DPMS issue or the computer using a different power saving aignalling
scheme than the monitor?

Cheers,
Paul.

Please post to: Hampshire@???
19:10

Ok folks - the plot thickens.... Essentially I've made it work but no idea
how.

I plugged the 32" into the docking station VGA and rebooted. Still no
joy - the safeboot screen is on the laptop only but I can enter my username
and password via my "remote" kbd and mouse. Once it's actually in Window$,
(i.e. at network login) up pops the 32" signal and basically all's fine from
there on. Therefore I either have to enter my safeboot password on the
laptop or "blind" (the kbd is nowhere near the laptop itself thanks to kvm
switching) or on the laptop's own kbd and from there on - it's all on the
32" with my preferred mouse and kbd.

All very odd - I'm now inclined never to move the docking station ever again
but what's really curious is this... This was only made possible by
connecting the kbd and mouse via ps/2 into the back of the docking station -
the laptop itself doesn't have a ps/2 adaptor. Previously I'd been
connecting via one of those ps/2 to usb gizmos into the docking station's
usb port.

As seems to happen more and more often nowadays - I've made it work but
dunno how - and this isn't even a Linux problem where such things are
commonplace for me!

Cheers for your help (and I think Jim may well have a point that my
monitor's refresh rate has something to do with it also).

Rob