Re: [Hampshire] Acer Aspire One 120GB Cheap ASDA deal?

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Acer Aspire One 120GB Cheap ASDA deal?

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, Rik wrote:

> Basingstoke had it just before Christmas - I did not see it in there
> yesterday PM and I looked for it. It was not under ?200 back when I saw
> it mid December and I bought a cheap Advent 4489 for ?199 from PC World
> instead:
>
> Intel Atom N270Processor - Energy efficient
> (1.6GHz, 533MHz FSB, 512MB cache)
> Memory & storage - 512MB Memory & 80GB HDD
> Portable - 8.9" Widescreen Display & 1.12KG
>
> The only caveat - remove XP and install Linux - it's a better machine
> for the money.

Depends on your definition of better, for some uses it certainly is,
however it is also noticeably larger and for an ultra-portable web-book
type device it is just that bit too big for me. Of course some people like
the fact it has a bigger screen and keyboard so it really all depends on
your individual use of the machine.

My sister bought an Aspire One back in November and has been pretty happy
with it, as someone who has never used Linux before she didn't have any
issues finding her way around the machine and her only really complaint is
about the battery life (an issue highlighted in most of the reviews of the
machine as well) but since her usage is mainly in hotel rooms rather
than on the road that's not the end of the world for her.

Back to the orignal question, Tony and Popey have just headed off from the
LUG meeting for an expedition to ASDA in Chandler's Ford to check if they
have any in stock there, so watch this space.

Andy