Re: [Hampshire] Acer Aspire One 120GB Cheap ASDA deal?

Author: Rik
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Acer Aspire One 120GB Cheap ASDA deal?

On Sat, 2009-01-17 at 10:43 -0500, Andy Random wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, Rik wrote:
>
> > Basingstoke had it just before Christmas - I did not see it in there
> > yesterday PM and I looked for it. It was not under ?200 back when I saw
> > it mid December and I bought a cheap Advent 4489 for ?199 from PC World
> > instead:
> >
> > Intel Atom N270Processor - Energy efficient
> > (1.6GHz, 533MHz FSB, 512MB cache)
> > Memory & storage - 512MB Memory & 80GB HDD
> > Portable - 8.9" Widescreen Display & 1.12KG
> >
> > The only caveat - remove XP and install Linux - it's a better machine
> > for the money.
>
> Depends on your definition of better, for some uses it certainly is,
> however it is also noticeably larger and for an ultra-portable web-book
> type device it is just that bit too big for me. Of course some people like
> the fact it has a bigger screen and keyboard so it really all depends on
> your individual use of the machine.
>
> My sister bought an Aspire One back in November and has been pretty happy
> with it, as someone who has never used Linux before she didn't have any
> issues finding her way around the machine and her only really complaint is
> about the battery life (an issue highlighted in most of the reviews of the
> machine as well) but since her usage is mainly in hotel rooms rather
> than on the road that's not the end of the world for her.
>
> Back to the orignal question, Tony and Popey have just headed off from the
> LUG meeting for an expedition to ASDA in Chandler's Ford to check if they
> have any in stock there, so watch this space.
>
>    Andy

I guess better to me would mean more powerful, more storage for less
money. If it's down to the smaller size making it 'better' then I don't
think there is much in it. I'm able to get it in a large pocket on the
inside of my fleece without any problems.

If size were important to me I guess I would look at putting Linux on a
Palm with a large SD card ;->