Re: [Hampshire] Wiki anti-spam changes

Top Page
Author: A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wiki anti-spam changes

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5792a100.hantslug.org.uk.8081': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jan 25 21:49:06 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Sunday 25 Jan 2009, B STEVENS wrote:
> this may be a naive question but why would anyone attack a linux user group
> wiki? what form did these attacks take?

Several reasons:

1) It's an automated attack they don't know who they are attacking

2) It's easy to do, wiki's and blogs are designed to let you comment them

3) If enough web sites point to your site, then your site may rise up the
Google rank.

Many older wikis and blogs die but if they are still on active servers then
spammers can take them over turning them into a free link farm to what ever
tripe they are selling.

If you look carefully in your access stats you may also see link referrer spam
as I call it. It's designed to appear in an stats web page - typical on older
web sites and academic sites, again building up their link profile...

Wired isn't it...?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

The animals are not as stupid as one thinks - they have neither
doctors nor lawyers.
    -- L Doquier