Re: [Hampshire] Streaming video

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Streaming video
2009/1/26 Brian Chivers <brian@???>:
> Has anyone tried streaming video across there network ? What I'd like to be able to do is stream TV
> shows that I've recorded in avi / xvid format to Windows workstations connected to projectors so
> staff can view fullscreen what they've requested to be recorded.
>
> I've looked @ VLC and have it sort of working but the embedding into a page is causing problems. I
> don't really want them to have to download the whole program before it starts as happens if you just
> embed the file into a webpage.
>
> Any pointers please :-)

MythTV is designed for exactly that. You need a backend looking after
the recording (as many tuners as you can eat and a VERY big disk) and
a frontend on each remote PC. Note that the backend does not run on
Windows, but there is a Windows frontend (MythTVPlayer).

Have a look at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions

HTH, Peter