Re: [Hampshire] Purchasing music online

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Purchasing music online
On Sunday 01 February 2009 13:29:15 Mike Dwerryhouse wrote:
> Samuel Penn wrote:
> > On Sunday 01 February 2009 09:20:19 Sean Gibbins wrote:
> >> Something a bit different:
> >>
> >> http://www.emusic.com/
> >>
> >> Slightly different model from the others in that you pay a monthly
> >> subscription which allows you to download a set number of DRM-free
> >> tracks per month depending on the level of the subscription.
> >
> > My problem with eMusic is that (AFAICT) you can't even see what type
> > of music they have without giving them credit card details, and there's
> > no way I'm giving them that before I even know whether I'd want to
> > buy anything from them.
>
> I regularly browse the emusic website without logging in, with no
> problem. The only gremlin is that some downloads are unavailable
> in some countries, and if you aren't logged in, you don't know which
> ones are available in your country.
>
> If your problem is where to go on the initial page, look at the "About"
> link at the bottom left. From there, there are search and browse links.
>
> Otherwise, type (for example) "emusic beatles" into google.
>
> MikeD

I used eMusic just after they launched but like Sean I soon ran out of tracks
I wanted. That added to the fact I found quite a few corrupt track and
e-mailing support was as much use and shouting from the top of my roof, so
consequently I lost a download for each corrupt track I downloaded. In the
end I just cancelled.

Not sure what they are like now

Tim