[Hampshire] JOB: Permanent MySQL Database Architect, Reading…

Author: jt@camalyn.org
To: hampshire
CC: james
Subject: [Hampshire] JOB: Permanent MySQL Database Architect, Reading (Berkshire), UK
JOB:

My name is James and I am an open source recruitment consultant. I have
sought permission to be allowed to post on this list a job vacancy
although I do not plan on misusing this, and will restrict my posts to
one per month and prefix each post with JOB: in the subject and header
of the email body.

At the same time I would also like the list to be aware that I run Linux
myself (currently content with Opensuse 11.1) and have prior experience
of several other distributions too. Where possible I am happy to
contribute to list discussions too.

Currently I'm working with a client in Reading (Berkshire) that are
looking to recruiting a permanent MySQL database architect to work
closely with their development and operations teams.

Whilst the developers have had some involvement with capacity planning
and performance monitoring of the live system in conjunction with the
operations team this responsibility will move entirely to the database
architect over time.

This isn't a development role so the db architect wouldn't be taking
over the writing of all SQL or anything but they would be expected to
use their expertise in advising the developers how best to tune their
code. Stored procedures are not currently used but they will probably
look at it in the future and this again would be something that the
architect would certainly get involved in as well revisit existing SQL
with a view to perhaps rewrite and/ or optimise.

They are running a mixture of MySQL 4.1 and 5.0. They don't run
enterprise as they always aim to employ talented staff so they can
support everything as far as possible in house. This goes for the OS as
well, which is why they use CentOS and not RHEL.

Although part of the job will involve finding new opportunities to
exploit new features or better use existing ones there are no immediate
plans to upgrade to 5.1.

There are no specific bottlenecks or db problems as such, the focus is
changing in such a way that they need to be able to store more data and
consequently they need to have the architect in place. However, there is
a focus on continual improvement of what they have. As with all IT
systems, there is always something that can be optimised. Identifying
potential future bottlenecks and avoiding them is also part of the role.

In terms of the number of high transactional servers - which would be
the definite focus - we are looking at high 30s. They do use MySQL
replication but not clustering at this time.

I've had a lot of experience recruiting MySQL database admins and
administrators so I have a unique appreciation as to what the client
should expect to pay and they understand this and are open to my
guidance. If anybody is interested in this job and would like to have a
chat with me, I can be contacted at the e-mail address james@???

I'm also welcome to suggestions on how to make any of my future JOB
posts more appealing and suitable to the list.

Kind regards,
James