Re: [Hampshire] Purchasing Music online

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Purchasing Music online
Stephen Davies wrote:
> Sean,
> This made me chuckle.
> /
> As I type this I am burning a John Martyn show from 1977 to CD - crystal
> clear and a fine example of// the man in his prime.
> /
>
> Is it by some strange coincidence you are doing this just after he has sadly passed away?
> For me, his earlier work (and more acoustic) is better. I saw him at the Festival Hall in the early '70s and the sound he was able to get from a single 6 string acoustic guitar were fantastic. I have several of his early albums on 12in.
>
> Your musical tastes do seem to have changed a lot since our paths first crossed.....

Hiya Steve,

Well, I have listened to Mr Martyn since the mid-80s and first saw him
around '87 or thereabouts. I also saw him a few years back and then
again on his farewell tour (front row, centre-stage!), although by then
he was showing signs of the various conditions that plagued him in later
life.

I had been getting hold of stuff from the recent tour, and also some of
the earlier shows prior to his death, but I am certain this show was
posted as a direct result of his passing.

I know his hardcore fans tend to go for the early acoustic stuff, but I
am also a fan of his electric set too - no doubt because that's pretty
much where I came, so to speak.

As for my tastes, well, I will go for pretty much anything written and
performed with passion, and would only really excludes most rap and the
modern interpretation of R&B.

I like punk, rock, indie/alternative, reggae, ska, psychedelic, country,
blues, bluegrass, electronica, dance, and folk - pretty much anything as
I say. I like pop too, but more the 60/70s interpretation of the genre
rather than music that just happens to be a la mode. I don't know much
about classical music but I can appreciate a good performance when I
happen across one, although I wouldn't go looking for it as a rule.

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa