Re: [Hampshire] Wireless network problem

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless network problem
On Saturday 07 February 2009 10:15:59 Peter Salisbury wrote:
> 2009/2/6 Tim <xendistar@???>:
> > I have a strange wireless problem which I hope somebody can help me with.
> > I am running Mepis 8 RC2 (which is based on Debian Lenny). I am using an
> > Acer laptop which has the Intel 2200BG wireless interface which is seen
> > as eth0 and a Broadcom Nextreme ethernet interface which is seen as eth1.
> >
> > Since installing mepis on this laptop the wireless has worked perfectly
> > out of the box but of late it has developed a problem.
> >
> > If you let the screen saver run (I am running KDE 3.5.10) when you hit
> > the mouse or keyboard to bring the laptop out of the screen saver mode,
> > you find that the wireless network has stopped working (try pinging
> > yahoo.com, nothing). Now if I ifdown eth1 (the wired interface) the
> > wireless will suddenly come back to life. So it seems as though something
> > is sending the wireless to sleep when the screen saver kicks in which
> > then allows eth1 to become the dominant interface and when the screen
> > saver stops won't allow eth0 back on the the network.
> >
> > What I would like is an option where I can turn eth1 off until I plug a
> > cable into it, I know I could blacklist the eth1 driver (which is t3) and
> > then modprobe it back in when I wanted to use the wired interface, any
> > thoughts???
> >
> > Tim
>
> You could use wicd which auto detects wired interfaces, or there is an
> option 'allow-hotplug' in /etc/network/interfaces which I've seen
> described on this list but not used myself.
> http://www.annodex.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?interfaces
>
> HTH, Peter

Thanks for the suggestions Peter but he answer turned out to be a little
mundane.

Mepis uses it own Network manager and has just released a new version,
unfortunately the wording on one of the options is a little dubious. I
took "Start when plugged" to mean start eth1 (wired) when the cable is
plugged in, unfortunately not. Now I have cleared this option eth1 does not
load upon bootup and if I want to use eth1 if i am away from home say, it is
just an easy ifup eth1

Tim