[Hampshire] VirtualBox USB passthrough

Author: Steve Kirk
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] VirtualBox USB passthrough
Hi,

I'm having problems getting an IrDA/USB bridge device passed through
into VirtualBox. I can create a filter for it without any problems, but
the device is always unavailable to the guest machine.

I have the Sun package with USB support installed on CentOS 5.2.

The device is seen as a SigmaTel IrDA/USB bridge by Linux.

dmesg gives:

usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 7
usb 4-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71

lsusb:

Bus 004 Device 007: ID 066f:4200 SigmaTel, Inc. STIr4200 IrDA Bridge

Any ideas? I really don't want to go back to dual booting with Windows
after 3 years.

Cheers,
Steve