Re: [Hampshire] Restoring firefox bookmarks

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Restoring firefox bookmarks
Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> I've rebuilt a machine that was Ubuntu 8.04 with Debian Lenny.
>
> I have a backup of /home from the ubuntu machine, including my
> .mozilla directory.
>
> I've rsynced the .mozilla/firefox directory to .mozilla on the debian
> system, and restarted iceweasel, but I don't see any sign of the
> bookmarks.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

If it's just the bookmarks you need you can export them in one of two
ways from the 'Bookmarks - Manage Bookmarks' option, and import them
similarly.

If there are other configuration items you are keen to keep then you
might want to try:

    ls -ltr .mozilla

    ls -ltr .mozilla/firefox

As this should reveal any issues with ownership and permissions, and
also show if a new instance (for want of a better word) has been created
alongside the old one that was copied across, to which Firefox/Iceweasel
is defaulting.

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa