Re: [Hampshire] Launching a command from the web

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Launching a command from the web
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 at 03:02:58PM +0000, Chris Aitken wrote:
> [...]

Apache running as a service on a Windows box has some strange
restrictions not found on a Linux/Unix box.

However executing plain old DOS BAT or Windows CMD files directly
from the CGI-BIN interfce is easy enough. I wouldn't do it though
as you have no real security, you are better off with a real
programming language, I'd use Perl which has good Windows
bindings, but I assume that Python or Ruby are as good. I can't
comment on Mono.

We run Perl apps on Windows boxes at work from Apache and the
Perl apps do Perl things and interact with the Windows subsystem
directly via the Windows API. It works well - no problems yet!

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Do not assume the other fellow has intelligence to match yours.
He may have more.
    -- Terry Thomas