Re: [Hampshire] Launching a command from the web

Author: Mike Dwerryhouse
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Launching a command from the web
Alan Pope wrote:
> 2009/2/12 Vic <lug@???>:
>
>>> Or use Apache with Mono.
>>>
>> Or shoot yourself firmly through the head.
>>
>> Mono is a trojan. It will compromise your Freedom at some point in the
>> future.
>>

> </wild_speculation>
>
> I've still yet to here a coherent non-hand-wavy non-tinfoil-hat
> argument against mono that stands up.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

This one could run and run.

I don't use Mono myself, but from what I read...

Its base components (the C# language and the runtime) are based on ECMA
standards submitted by Microsoft (334 and 335) and so would be difficult for
MS to object to. Not impossible, mind you, they have lots of lawyers, and
Steve Balmer in charge.

Another part, the Mono version of the windows.forms library, is reverse
engineered from the MS version, and important for porting Window .NET
apps to Mono, but not for writing Mono apps from scratch. This part could
obviously be a target if MS took a dislike to it, but so could many
other free
software projects. ReactOS for example.

The rest is no more nor less vulnerable to MS interference than anything
else.
For example, GTK#, a binding of GTK+ to C#.

My main problem with Mono is that it's constantly one step behind MS .NET.
The current version of Mono is 2.2, which implements .NET 2.0 and part of
.NET 3.x. It's going to be like that until MS decide to freeze the API
for a while.

MikeD