Re: [Hampshire] Old cable modem for recycling

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Old cable modem for recycling

Rob, correct me if I am wrong but I think the cable modem remains the property
of NTL\Virgin and as such it is not yours to give away. I know somebody offered
a Set Top Box (STB) on the Borunemotuh freecycle and the post was taken taken
based on the ownership of the STB.

Tim

On Saturday 14 February 2009 16:30:20 Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> This is borne more out of knowledge of ntl/Virgin incompetence rather than
> my own paranoia.
>
> When I lived in Hampshire I had broadband through a CM I bought in 2000.
> For various reasons when I moved away from Hampshire, I closed the ntl
> account rather than just had it moved. My new broadband is provided by
> virgin with a brand new account number and new cm. FWIW I've plugged the
> old CM into my cable socket and I don't have 4 solid lights so I'm assuming
> it's been "unpaired" i.e. it's all one network right? I'm assuming any cm
> that's been paired can be plugged into any cable point and it will work -
> again is this right? Or are they registered with the local UBR?
>
> Reason I ask is I'm thinking of freecycling the old cm. If I can't be
> 100% sure it's been "unpaired" - could someone clever enough get it working
> and have it steal my old account to get bandwidth therefore ntl might come
> chasing me for money from an account that's been closed for years!
>
> I know it might sound like paranoia (and perhaps it is) but let's be fair -
> we've all heard / seen just how incompetent ntl (and now virgin) can be.
>
> Cheers
> Rob

GET FREE SMILEYS FOR YOUR IM & EMAIL - Learn more at http://www.inbox.com/smileys
Works with AIM®, MSN® Messenger, Yahoo!® Messenger, ICQ®, Google Talk™ and most webmails