Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Video senders

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Video senders
2009/2/16 Rob Malpass <lug@???>:
> Hi all
>
> Anybody know anything about video senders? I want to watch my Sky+ box in
> the study and I'm not prepared to pay for the multiroom package. I have a
> 40 quid video sender but that's never worked at all well - apparently
> cordless phones, baby monitors and wifi (let alone microwave ovens!)
> interfere with the signal.
>
> From the research I've done - the reason for this is that the sender uses a
> frequency of 2.4GHz. 5.8GHz variations are available but before spending
> the hard-earned on one - I'd like some more assurance that it'll work.
> Anybody know whether this will definitively work? FWIW the distance
> between the transmitter and sender is well under 5m - but goes through two
> walls.
>
> Cheers
> Rob

I would try and use an mpeg2 or mpeg4 encoding hardware box next to the sky box.
Then the output could be sent over cat5 or wifi to a computer in
another room simply running a media player to play the network stream.
The advantage of the mpeg2 or mpeg4 encoding is that it will compress
the image and therefore use less radio bandwidth.