[Hampshire] Media players

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hants LUG
Subject: [Hampshire] Media players

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57678100.hantslug.org.uk.16367': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Feb 16 23:06:39 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
I've currently got a Freecom MediaGate MG-35 sat next to my telly,
and it does a reasonable job of playing MPEG2s that I've recorded off
DVB-T. However, I've recently tried re-encoding some things as various
forms of MPEG4.

With XviD or FFMPEG, I get unacceptable (to me) encoding artefacts
with any sane bitrate (i.e. less than half the size of the original).

Someone suggested using x264 to get a better-quality encoding --
which it is, but my MG-35 won't play H.264 videos.

So, I'm keeping an eye out for a replacement. I'd like something
HD-capable (for future upgrades), capable of playing H.264 video, Ogg
and FLAC audio, handling .avi and .mp4 containers, and able to read
files from NFS. Handling streaming audio (MP3, Ogg, FLAC) would be
nice, too. Oh, and I'd like it to be silent. Not quiet -- silent.
Everything else in my sitting room is solid state and fanless, and I'd
like to keep it that way.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The current front-runner is this
one[1], or one of its friends, but that has a 40mm fan in the back,
which says to me that it'll make noise.

Hugo.

[1] http://www.tvix.co.kr/Eng/products/HDM6500A.aspx

                   --- I know of three kinds: hot, ---
                cool,  and what-time-does-the-tune-start?