Re: [Hampshire] Media players

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Media players

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57459100.hantslug.org.uk.16241': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Feb 17 17:02:34 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 04:25:44PM +0000, Charlie de Courcy wrote:

> >> Does anyone have any suggestions? The current front-runner is this
> >> one[1], or one of its friends, but that has a 40mm fan in the back,
> >> which says to me that it'll make noise.
> >>
> >> Hugo.
> >>

> Have you considered a Playstation 3? It generates a bit of noise (but
> you won't hear it over audio/video)

That'll be a non-starter for me, then.

> it has full HD support and you can
> even install linux on it... :)

At least for the moment, I don't actually *want* to be installing
anything other than the manufacturer's updates on it. I'm after an
"appliance", not a "toy". :)

> I use fuppes to effortlessly stream media content to the PS3 over
> wireless, it does a good job! The PS3 doesn't support FLAC / OGG
> natively but fuppes will transcode on the fly to a format useable by the
> PS. The quality is excellent.

Again, I'd rather not do the transcoding thing. Much of my music
collection is in FLAC format for good reason.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think this one's a non-starter for
me.

Hugo.

PS. Sony. Ewwww.

           --- All hope abandon,  Ye who press Enter here. ---