Re: [Hampshire] Home server

Author: Brian Chivers
To: hlug090104, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Home server
Rik wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 23:28 +0000, Gordon Scott wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I've just started setting up a home server on a nive little ITX box,
>> based upon Ubuntu-server Intrepid Ibex.
>>
>> But .. the setup might make sense for a server farm, but for a small
>> three/four machine network it seems disproportionately complex.
>>
>> Can anyone give a pointer to a straight-forward basic setup for
>> NFS+Samba serving, and UPnP? I'm guessing that mail shouldn't bee too
>> bad as I already use postfix.
>>
>> Ubuntu's setup uses LDAP, which has so far taken we two evenings of
>> messing about, to achieve I'm not sure what. They seem to think I need
>> it for Samba. I'm not convinced, and it seems grotesquely complex and
>> arcane to manage the way they advise.
>
> Hi Gordon,
>
> I feel your pain with LDAP - (any anyone who has to suffer AD too for
> that matter). For you setup it does seem a tad overkill - but there is
> some logic in it.
>
> The key issue with access to any server is who is allowed access to
> what. The old 'who can log in, what can they do' kind of gig. LDAP is
> one way of doing it - but for a handful of users it may not be the best
> way. Basic *nix accounts and good old fashion permissions may well
> suffice. These fit nicely together with Samba and I've been using it for
> so long like this I would struggle to remember how I did it!
>
> As for Postfix it has its little quirks but simple alias lists (mashed
> through postmap) are more than suitable - or even interfacing it to a
> mysql database for a bit more flexibility - avoids the need for LDAP.
>
> LDAP is rather brilliant in terms of speed and it has it's uses. It is a
> bit of a miserable monkey to administer - but that probably comes down
> largely to my ignorance of it and wanting to avoid it at all costs!
>
> Good luck Captain :-)

I've got a few Samba & LDAP servers running here, if you like I can send you over my smb.conf files
for you to have a look at. I have to admit that I cheap with the simple ones & install Webmin and
use this to setup Samba etc but the bigger ones with Ldap slaves etc I do by hand.

Brian

                the views of Portsmouth College