Re: [Hampshire] Home server

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Home server
Hi Guys,

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Hugo Mills wrote:

>    Samba: Your guess is as good as mine for how to make it work.
> Samba and I aren't on speaking terms, and haven't been for some
> time. :)

Yes, well, I had Samba working fine on the present old fileserver, than
it suddenly stopped talking and I never managed to get it to come back.
In fairness, I think it was a firewalling problem not a Samba problem.

It occurs to me that another strategy might be to add NFS to the Windoze
install on my laptop and simply not bother with Samba.

> > They seem to think I need
> > it for Samba. I'm not convinced, and it seems grotesquely complex and
> > arcane to manage the way they advise.
>
>    I think that describes LDAP quite well. :)

I find it incredible in c21 that I have to put domain in in that
"dc=gscott,dc=co,dc=uk" style and that I have to write a script in that
form and run it, just to change john to jack.

Looks like a very bad joke to me.

There seem to be a few X-based tools around that I guess are friendlier,
but then I didn't install X on the box .. it's a server.

BTW the ask about UPnP was specifically because I've been considering a
Squeezebox(TM). Any related advice or thoughts appreciated. One of the
reasons is that in Basingstoke, Radio Solent is a bit distant, so the
plan was to stream both the Beeb, some distant streamed stuff (Africa,
South America, etc.) and the CD collection.

ATB,
    Gordon.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

Haiku:        Tragic Irony
        Imagined Life Without Walls
        Windows Crash to Floor.

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.