Re: [Hampshire] [hants] compression

Author: Stuart Matheson
To: isaacclose, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [hants] compression
Isaac,

I've been referring to www.maximumcompression.com for a while now. I
recently did some backing up of HDDs over a network and found that zeroing
the free space and then using lzop produced the highest throughput given the
100Mb network and 500 Mhz VIA cpu. gzip/bzip2/etc created an output file
that took up less space but was much more CPU intensive so it took longer
overall. I had plenty of disk space at the target so speed was the most
important thing for me.

HTH,

Stu