Re: [Hampshire] netbooks, especially those with a Linux OS, …

Author: Stuart Matheson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] netbooks, especially those with a Linux OS, and DVD
Hi Lisi,

I seem to recall being able to play DVDs on my 400 Mhz Pentium II with 192
Mb RAM back in the day (running Windows 2k - I had to as I played Half Life
Day of Defeat a lot). That was from a PATA drive though and not through USB.
I don't know exactly how the current netbook cpu Mhz would compare to the
PII Mhz, but I'm guessing it should be able to play them OK. Can you not
take an external USB DVD drive and a DVD down to a store and try to play it
with something like VLC?

I've been playing with Damn Small Linux on my xbox and it seems to cope well
with only 64Mb RAM so perhaps you could give that a go if you want something
really light. It supposedly runs on 486 machines with 16Mb of RAM! Only 2.4
kernel though...

What do you classify as a 'reasonable' price? Maplin have some refurbished
thing<http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=228796&source=1&C=Maplin&U=HomeBasketFillers&T=228796>on
their web site for £100 although I don't know how good it is.

HTH,

Stuart.