[Hampshire] netbooks, especially those with a Linux OS, and …

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] netbooks, especially those with a Linux OS, and DVD
I have been asked by a young friend whether it is possible to watch DVDs
(films etc.) on a netbook. I suspect that the answer is no, even with an
external DVD-ROM drive, because of lack of system resources. But I would be
grateful for some accurate information on this point from the list.

I have googled and cannot find a netbook at a reasonable price (one of the
reasons she is interested in netbooks is the low price) that has an internal
DVD drive. Would anyone who knows otherwise be kind enough to post a link or
tell me the model?

Meanwhile, she is keen on having one with a Linux OS, and is very taken with
the idea of using Tux to resurrect her present ailing laptop. She has gone
home with a selection of Live CDs to have a look. :-))

TIA
Lisi