Re: [Hampshire] netbooks, especially those with a Linux OS, …

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] netbooks, especially those with a Linux OS, and DVD
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 26 at 12:07, Stuart Matheson wrote:
> Hi Lisi,

> What do you classify as a 'reasonable' price? Maplin have some refurbished
> thing<http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=228796&source=1&C=Maplin&U=HomeBasketFillers&T=228796>on
> their web site for ?100 although I don't know how good it is.

I'd beware something like this for playing DVDs etc. It's got a MIPS based
processor in it (not Intel instruction set) and getting codecs etc will be
problematic to say the least.

Actually installing anything but the manufactures linux distribution on
these machines doesn't look like a job for the faint hearted either.

I plugged a USB DVD drive into the side of my EEE 901 the other day and it
played region 0 DVDs without problems. I'm guessing other regions wouldn't
be a problem either but couldn't be bothered to look for the DeCSS librarys.

Of course a 901 might not be what you consider cheap at 216+VAT these days.

Adding a DVD player to a netbook kinda defeats the concept of a netbook to
my mind. You might want to copy selected DVDs to Flash but that's gonna eat
storage fast. Better I'd think to go for a cheap laptop instead.

--
        Bob Dunlop