Re: [Hampshire] netbooks, especially those with a Linux OS, …

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] netbooks, especially those with a Linux OS, and DVD
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:08:09 +0000
Bob Dunlop <bob.dunlop@???> wrote:

> Actually installing anything but the manufactures linux distribution
> on these machines doesn't look like a job for the faint hearted
> either.

creating a bootable usb stick followed by a netinst made getting Debian
onto my EeePC 900 a simple operation. The instructions are here

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Install

> Adding a DVD player to a netbook kinda defeats the concept of a
> netbook to my mind.

I agree with this comment wholeheartedly, they were never intended to
be an all purpose laptop, but for web browsing and email on the move
they are ideal. Short battery life is the only downside.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop