Re: [Hampshire] netbooks, especially those with a Linux OS, …

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] netbooks, especially those with a Linux OS, and DVD
On Fri, Feb 27 at 08:39, john lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:08:09 +0000
> Bob Dunlop <bob.dunlop@???> wrote:
>
> > Actually installing anything but the manufactures linux distribution
> > on these machines doesn't look like a job for the faint hearted
> > either.
>
> creating a bootable usb stick followed by a netinst made getting Debian
> onto my EeePC 900 a simple operation. The instructions are here
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Install

You miss the point. That's an binary install onto a Intel instruction
set standard PC architecture machine. There's lots of those about, it's
well understood and supported.

Targeting the OneT machine it's a MIPS instruction set and unknown
hardware architecture. You won't find an off the shelf package for it.

Debian list hardware support for Intel as "nearly all PCs", for the
MIPS processor they list 5 specific machines, and no the OneT is not
one of them.

All I'm trying to say is that all netbooks are not created equal. If you
want an easy life better to stick with common well supported architectures.

MIPS and ARM based systems are not mainstream supported and you'll need
strong geek powers to get the best out of them if you stray from the
delivered setup.
--
        Bob Dunlop