Re: [Hampshire] netbooks, especially those with a Linux OS, …

Author: Steve Wesemeyer
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] netbooks, especially those with a Linux OS, and DVD
Lisi,

On Monday 23 February 2009 16:13:53 Lisi wrote:
> I have been asked by a young friend whether it is possible to watch DVDs
> (films etc.) on a netbook. I suspect that the answer is no, even with an
> external DVD-ROM drive, because of lack of system resources. But I would
> be grateful for some accurate information on this point from the list.
>
> I have googled and cannot find a netbook at a reasonable price (one of the
> reasons she is interested in netbooks is the low price) that has an
> internal DVD drive. Would anyone who knows otherwise be kind enough to
> post a link or tell me the model?
>
> Meanwhile, she is keen on having one with a Linux OS, and is very taken
> with the idea of using Tux to resurrect her present ailing laptop. She has
> gone home with a selection of Live CDs to have a look. :-))
>
> TIA
> Lisi

I have just plugged an external USB DVD writer in my eee701(with OpenSuse 11.1
installed rather than the Xandros distro that comes with it) and it plays
DVDs just fine. I don't think there is a netbook with an internal DVD drive
(the only ones I am aware of are sub-notebooks which are way to expensive)
and as was said before, it defeats the purpose of a netbook. It's much easier
to rip the DVDs on your proper PC and then use a USB-stick/SD card to watch
them on your netbook. Attaching an external DVD drive just eats battery and
is just one more thing to carry around with you.

HTH
Steve