Re: [Hampshire] Cheap Netbook

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cheap Netbook
Alan Bell wrote:
> you might want to ponder a bit on the implications of an existence of a
> boatload of refurbs though.

Well, yes, but then I wonder if they may have taken a load back from
dissatisfied punters who found they couldn't install Windows software on
them? Not that I am defending them mind - I wouldn't touch one
personally, and generally end up cursing whenever I go to Maplins on
account of the ridiculous pricing; 'PC World Syndrome'!

However, I recall someone recently expressed an interest in MIPS
machines and this is the cheapest I have seen them going for in this
format, hence the heads-up.

> I think you can get the same motherboard in a slightly better bit of
> plastic from Elonex for £99 brand new. If you want a really cheap MIPS
> processor to play with then go for it. It is a sub-netbook with an
> 800x480 screen which is teeny tiny. The operating system is a bit of a
> horror with everything running as root, the Elonex version sucks a bit
> less (in that it looks prettier) but it still all runs as root. If you
> want a netbook to actually use then this really isn't the one to go for.

This /is/ an Elonex machine, FWIW, as opposed to the other similar
effort Maplins were touting for £139 a little while back.

I take your point about the tiny screen though - my daughter Ellen has a
7" Eee PC that she was given as part of an A level course she is doing,
and having played with it (and broken it!) I'd have to agree that it is
not best suited to purpose in that the screen is too small for most web
sites and that the Netbook label is a bit of a misnomer. I am sure Psion
would agree... :p

So, if you want a Netbook grab an Acer - what you pay over and above the
£99 asked for this one you'll save in Chiropractor's fees for the RSI
you'll get mousing back and forth across Web sites that are too big for
your screen! My son Sam has one and I have to say that is very usable
for word processing, email, Web surfing and instant messaging tot he
point where he rarely sits in front of his desktop machine.

However, if you are only looking at very occasional use and pulling in
email on the go then this might be worth looking at, although a new one
for the same price with a 12-month warranty does sound more appealing.

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa