Re: [Hampshire] [Fwd: [Peterboro] Free .PDF of Linux Format…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Fwd: [Peterboro] Free .PDF of Linux Formatmagazine] (fwd)
Victor Churchill wrote:
> 2009/3/4 Alan Pope <alan@???>
>
>> 2009/3/4 Victor Churchill <victorchurchill@???>:
>>
>>> In case it matters to anybody: it is a torrent download, not a directly
>>> save-able pdf link.
>>>

>> http://popey.com/~alan/linuxformat/linux_format_116.zip
>>
>> Help yourself. It's 125MB.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Al.
>>

> Public-spirited of you Popey. Not an issue for me nowadays but there
> was a time when I thought BitTorrent was the Spawn of the Devil -
> mostly on those occasions when my son came back from Uni and his PC
> upstairs was soaking up all "my" upstream bandwidth while downloading
> gigs of anime and manga. Tying to remotely edit files when the latency
> is ~3 seconds ... stressful. But we wander OT.
>
> Nice of LF to have done this. I used to subscribe to it pre-broadband;
> but I suspect, like many ex-readers, I tend to get my reading and
> reference direct from the web now. But there is still something nice
> about paper...

Yes, cheers Al.

Me and BitTorrent have an understanding and as a result get on just
fine, but it is nice to just click on a link sometimes!

I agree about paper Vic, andI can't get on with electronic documents if
any serious volume is involved, but then I look at the growing pile of
outdated technical books in the loft with concern, too.

I used to read LF but found it was always little behind Slashdot and the
various other news sites, and that the articles could lag a little too
in terms of references to the latest versions of software, etc., under
discussion, for obvious reasons I guess.

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa